NO Subtitles, LG TV nor web (Twonky 7.0.0.9 on NAS Zyxel NSA-310) beginner

Hello,
I have Twonky (think 7.0.9 Special ) on my NAS Zyxel NSA-310 trying to stream to LG TV 37LS560-ZC.

Subtitles does not work on tv (tv can play the exact files with subtitles from USB without problems) nor on the WIN7 (web administration window of NSA - Media player nor VLC player). Files are named as How.avi and How.srt.

Newest firmwares. On older firmware of NSA310 (4.40) the subtitle files were visible in the folder on TV, but not playable. Now with new Twonky I can not see them (seems to be ok, as throught USB the subs are working and also not visible).

Twonky; sharing => does not know the exact model of LG Tv, therefore I tried it as General player and LG DNLA server. Nothing worked. Subtitles files are not visible in the Twonky administration either (port nsa310:9001).

How to stream subtitles? At least to WIN7?

Total Nubbie at this. Thanks in advance! Pls mail me at schilhartrobin@seznam.cz
5 people have
this problem
+1
  • Client support of Subtitles over DLNA is a mixed bag
    usb support does not count as verification that it supports it over DLNA

1. the client, you tv, has to support this over DLNA (manual sometimes states it)
    2. some clients want the srt to be an external file
    3. some clients want the srt to be embedded into the video file
    4. some clients one has to click a menu option to turn on the subtitle

from a client profile perspective the LG DLNA Player and Generic Media Receiver
    client profiles are exactly the same, so need to worry about wich one to use
    the only thing that differantiates them is in name only

As to getting this working to win 7 client
    from a twonky server that is not running on that client over the network via dlna
    not sure how vlc works with dlna in this regard
    but I would suspect that the same logic applies
    as it does to tv scenario, dont know vlc too well in this regard
    I know it works when using via an smb share, not sure about dlna
  • (some HTML allowed)
    How does this make you feel?
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• LG TV is totally capable of playing subtitles over the DNLA. Works perfect with Nero Media Server 4 on my notebook.

I cant see subtitles nor in the Twonky itself in the browser window nor on any device. How to enable it?

Or can you post pls the receipt how to install miniDLNA on NSA310 forever? It should probably work too. Thx in advance!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

e.g. indifferent, undecided, unconcerned happy, confident, thankful, excited kidding, amused, unsure, silly sad, anxious, confused, frustrated

• As I stated before in regard to usb playback and srt's
    Its also true that just because the appearance of srt support is there
    with other dlna server, it doesnt always mean what one thinks it does
    as "most" are actually transcoding the media to pull it off
    for devices that dont actually support srt over dlna

Are you sure that when using Nero that is wasnt transcoding the media
    which would than burn in the subtitles?

The true way to know what is or is not supported over dlna
    is to look at the manual for you tv set,
    or look on the tv support forums

what model do you have?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I really doubt the Nero is capable of "burning in" the subtitles.
    It just play it perfectly if the name is the same as the video file.

My model of tv is LG 37LS560-ZC.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Since, I cant drive when blindfolded, I dont attempt it
    I cant know what a client device is or is not "truly" capable of without specs
    anything else is conjecture and guesswork that infer what it can do
    though I did go looking for answers

No mention of sub title or dlna support

I took a look on LG's website for the 37LS560-ZC is listed as 37LS560
    there is no manual provided

I took a look at there support site, nothing at all for the 37LS560
    Is thing a very new model or something?

It is not even listed as being dlna capable according on product page
    http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-37LS56...

It is not even listed under models that are dlna capable
    http://lgknowledgebase.com/kb/index.p...

Also
    I helped a guy with an LG a while ago
    A key thing to take away from this is, LG "theoretically" only supports Nero
    http://lgknowledgebase.com/kb/index.p...

Does that mean it doesnt work with, no, as it seems it does

twonky server 7.0.9. special and TV LG 42LE5400 not displaying video content directory
    http://community.twonky.com/twonky/to...

But nothing as of yet talks about sub title support

Were going to need something more concrete to know for sure what to do
    to make it work, if it is even supported by the tv over dlna
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

Hello,
    I have just got Twonky Server Premium 7.0.9 as part of my NAS Zyxel NSA-310 and I have exactly the same issue. TV (LG LE8500) is DLNA certified according to manufacturer and I was using DLNA on it for two years with no issue. Subtitles work perfectly with Nero DLNA server. I have .srt files named exactly as video files with no special characters now. (Nero had no issue with special characters). It is true that on LG web is stated that if users have issues with DLNA functionality, they should use NERO. I believe that this is because of the fact that LG tested Nero with their hardware and had no chance to test it with all other servers. I am not sure what exactly means DLNA certified, but it should be 'compliant to DLNA standard' which (I hope) covers subtitles streaming.

I did try several DLNA software clients as well with NSA-310 (XBMC, VLC plugin through NSA-310 web media center etc) but I have no subtitles in all of them.

I am not sure if this could be caused by some content filtering bug - Zyxel or Twonky could filter out all files except video files - basically Twonky is able to stream .srt files, but they are filtered out as other (non video) content from the directory?

Anyway I found plenty of questions of other people using NSA-310/Twonky on the Internet - it seems to me as well known issue. They use different brands of TV sets. (LG, SAMSUNG, ...). What helped them was to install miniDLNA.

I'm totally OK with NSA-310 - it works great, but if Twonky can't stream subtitles and I will not be able to find a solution soon I'm definitely getting rid of it and try to find other NAS with different DLNA server.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Exactly! I would like to know, if there is any manual how to install miniDNLA on zyxel permanently?! If not, I would return this device until the subtitles problem will be solved. Thx in advance.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

I found only this miniDLNA how to, but haven't tried yet (it means investment of at least one or two free days if I;m lucky).

http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopi...

Tom
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

So I have successfully installed miniDLNA and I HAVE subtitles on LG LE8500 :) Thanks to guys from miniDLNA project. The how to in here:

http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopi...

is brilliant (thanks barmalej2!), you just need to install FFP stick as prerequisite. How to install it:

http://zyxel.nas-central.org/wiki/FFP...

So I disabled Twonky and using miniDLNA instead. Installation was much smoother than I thought. Took me two hours, including reading.

I followed the miniDLNA how to step by step, with only exception - I downloaded the latest version of miniDLNA, which is atm 1.0.25_src.tar.gz instead of described 1.0.24_src.tar.gz and in all steps (where necessary) replaced .24 with .25

The miniDLNA is installed permanently - on the USB stick, I just put index files to HDD since they are being rebuilt often.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Thx for the great solution! However, I don't understand the last sentence: "I put index files to HDD since they are being rebuilt often." How to do this?

As a matter of fact I have returned NAS to the shop yesterday, but if this works so great, I am thinking of buing it again and try it.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• It is in step 11. :Edit genconfig.sh, set DB_PATH="/i-data/md0/minidlna

I left miniDLNA install (and FFP intstall ) on USB stick - so I need to have USB stick connected all the time, but I think that would be more convenient to store db files on NAS hdd, that's why. Of course you can target the path to USB: DB_PATH="/ffp/tmp/minidlna.

It is possible to install FFP and miniDLNA directy to HDD, but I decided not to do it.

BTW - I spent some time on subtitles topic - it seems that subtitles are not part of DLNA protocol. DLNA server/client providers are using some proprietary solution to handle them. Other NAS manufaturers (except those who decided to use miniDLNA (ReadyDLNA) have some issues with subtitles support as well.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

One hint - for the installation you need to be logged in SSH as root/your_zyxel admin_pass not as admin.

BTW - I believe that Twonky guys could fix this - it could be much simpler for ZYXEL users to have the solution ready out of the box :)
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• All the people having problems with subtiltes can you please confirm if modification of extension of video files can solve problem? At least temporarily. Please refer to my post: http://community.twonky.com/twonky/to...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• No it is not solving problem on LG. Your problem seems to be more tight to inotify/indexing functionality.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• To Twonky support:

I have read in other thread:

"In order for us to support this (subtitles), I think they (LG) would have to share proprietary info with us in order for us to easily support this. We currently do not have access to this info."

If you need any help to obtain logs or streaming debug info, please let me know how to do it - I can send it to you.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hello...

I have the same problem with my newly bought LG TV...

It is unacceptable for Twonky to not support subtitles for some of the most well known brands like LG and for .mkv which is the most played format today...

Other media servers support it without no problem at all and i can tell you from personal experience that Mezzmo (tested under Windows 7) and Serviio (tested under WD My Book Live) do that flawlessly...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    Since Twonky support apparently does not care, despite the fact that we have paid version, we should try Zyxel support instead. Let's see if Zyxel has better position than "stateless" users...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m frustrated
    This is clearly an issue with LG equipment because apart from LG TV i have tried to watch subs in an LG BluRay player and an older Samsung TV capable of .mkv playback through network. Well LG BluRay did not work and Samsung was working alright. Sth is not right specific with LG and i do not think this is a proprietary info issue from LG. Do they think that Serviio which essentially is free software, paid or asked LG for info to make subtitles work? I just think they do not give the proper care to it and they WILL LOSE customers. Subtitles is not an "exotic feature" and in 2012 media servers should work flawlessly "out of the box" with all capable clients...

Also all paid customers like me or TomHolt should contact Twonky support and demand to correct it...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Below is the history for the support ticket i opened a few days ago...

And we will wait...

Request #18968

No subtitles on my LG TV

Andreas Koltsidas
    Oct 25 13:46

Hello...

I tried to play .mkv files on my newly bought LG TV and there are no subtitles recognised...

Does Twonky support subtitles and how can i see them on my TV?

I have bought Twonky Server Linux and using it in WD My Book Live NAS...

Best regards...

Navdeep
    Twonky
    Hello Andreas,

Thank you for contacting Twonky technical support.

We tested in our DLNA lab that avi and DivX files with subtitles .srt files are worked fine on Samsung TV. One thing that we have observed is that when you have any special characters or dots and dashes in the file name then the subtitles do not appear.

So we would suggest you to try renaming the file without any special character and then see if they work fine. We are looking into this issue and hopefully this should be taken care of soon.

However We suggest you to refer below post of our community :

http://community.twonky.com/twonky/to...

Hopefully it will help you.

For NAS & Beta Versions we offer Limited Support.

These versions are only for technical users. The NAS builds may require additional steps to configure or install. Beta versions may have bugs. Support for these versions is primarily by the community (other Twonky users on this forum). Refer to Twonky forums for help on this issue.

Regards,
    Navdeep Sharma

October 26, 2012 00:39
    Andreas Koltsidas
    Hello...

I don't think you read my support request at all, before giving an answer...

First of all, i didn't say "avi and DivX files".... I specifically mention .mkv format files which are fundamentally different...

Second, what Samsung TV has to do with me? I specifically said i own an LG TV...

Third, why did you send me the link to community support, since in this link THERE IS NO SOLUTION for my problem...

Fourth, i did not ask for technical support in installation of Twonky media server... The installation is just fine...

Fifth, why do you refer to "For NAS & Beta Versions we offer Limited Support." My question was for a feature which DOES NOT exist in any version of Twonky... Other users have the same problem... What does this have to do with NAS installation ?????

Sixth, i did not ask for an "exotic" feature but for something that any DECENT media server supports (even free ones, see Serviio)... How difficult could this to be implemented in Twonky, since ALL OTHER HAVE DONE IT !!!

Except you think that all users of your program are speaking English and they do not need subtitles...

Seventh, do not send pre-written answers like the one you just send, thinking you are talking to idiot users...

Best regards...

October 26, 2012 01:06
    Navdeep
    Twonky
    Hello Andreas,

Thank you for taking the time to email us. I apologize for the inconvenience that you are facing.

As of now we have tested that avi, DivX and .MKV files with subtitles .srt files are worked fine on Samsung TV and WD live TV connected with Sony TV. We are not able to test it on LG TV. Because this issue is already reported by other users. We are looking into this issue and hopefully this should be taken care of soon.

However as avi, DivX and .MKV files with subtitles .srt files are worked fine on Samsung TV and WD live TV so, it seems to be some device compatibility issue. We suggest you to check by using our Free version of Twonky Server 7.

You can download Twonky Server 7 using below link:

http://my.twonky.com/user/download

Please try above suggestions and let us know your observation. We really appreciate your patience and understanding.

Regards
    Navdeep Sharma

October 26, 2012 01:41
    Andreas Koltsidas
    Hello...

I am already using Twonky Server 7.0.9 Special in my NAS...

Do you want me to install it in Windows 7 and check from there if it works with LG TV?

Best regards...

October 26, 2012 02:16
    Navdeep
    Twonky
    Hello Andreas,

Yes, for the testing purposes please check by installing Twonky Server 7 free version on your PC and check if it works for you.

Let us know your observations.

Regards
    Navdeep Sharma

October 26, 2012 03:12
    Andreas Koltsidas
    Hello...

I just tested Twonky Server 7 free version on my Windows 7 PC and i had the same results as in WD My Book Live NAS... No subtitles on LG 47LM660 TV..

I must also point out to you that i have 2 other media DLNA clients except LG TV... The first is a BluRay player LG HX806 capable of playing also .mkv files through DLNA and which also could not play any subtitles...

The second is and older model Samsung TV LE32B650T which has the ability to play .mkv files and which played subtitles alright and without any problems...

The issue lies with LG equipment and you must find the solution for it, because LG TVs and BluRay players are very popular among users... You cannot just leave users hanging when there is definitely a solution for this...

Again all other media servers play .mkv files on LG TVs without any problems...

Please feel free to ask for any help on this issue...

Best regards...

October 26, 2012 14:22
    Andreas Koltsidas
    Hello...

Do we have any news about this issue?

Best regards...

October 29, 2012 02:43
    Navdeep
    Twonky
    Hello Andreas,

We apologize for the delay in responding to your query. Thank you for trying the suggested steps. We appreciate your valuable feedback.

We will report this issue to our development team. Hopefully this issue will resolve in our future releases. You can get the latest update of Twonky products on our community.

We really appreciate your patience and understanding.

Regards
    Navdeep Sharma

October 29, 2012 03:19
    Andreas Koltsidas
    Hello...

I hope when you say future releases, to be in 2012 and not 2013 or 2014 as many others do...

This is a serious issue and i have already spoken with quite a few members of Twonky community forum, that have mentioned this MONTHS ago without any resolving... This tells me that you do not take this very seriously...

Please give me a timeframe of fix...

Best regards...

October 29, 2012 03:34
    Andreas Koltsidas
    Hello...

Do we have any news about this issue?

Best regards...

October 31, 2012 00:17
    Navdeep
    Twonky
    Hello Andreas ,

We apologize for the delay in responding to your query.

We have reported this issue to our development team. We will let you know once we receive any update form them. However you can also check about the latest updates of Twonky on our community.

Thank you for being patient with us. We really appreciate your patience and understanding.

Regards
    Navdeep Sharma

October 31, 2012 04:51
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Latest update is following:

"Hi Andreas,
    Our team has worked on this issue and have confirmed that there is a bug with our application. We have opened an internal ticket for this issue and will be working on it for future releases. This may take some time until you see this fix implemented in Twonky market release. Kindly be patient and wait until we launch full subtitle support for LG TV's.
    We thank you for bringing this important issue into our consideration. This will be fixed in future releases.
    Thank you for contacting Twonky. We are closing this ticket.

Regards,
    Kiran"
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Yes, we do confirm that TwonkyServer does not support subtitle playback for LG TV. There's an internal ticket open and our developers are working on it.

I will update you with more details when we have exact fixed version info available.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Any update regarding this bug or when a new release will be public ?
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Any update for this bug? my NSA310 is poor with twonky server 7.0.9 subtitles not work!!!!
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi, any update ? I have LG47LM7600 and it not work subtitles with twonky 7.0.9. Waiting update, thanks
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• same problem with Samsung UE40C5000, it plays everything beautifully from Serviio DLNA server, (TV understands subtitles (no burrned-in), gives options for size, delay synchro, etc), but no subtitles from Twonky...
    why do you make our life difficult???
    thanks
    darenGr
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Every time I add a SRT to an already existing directory containing a MKV I have the same issue. The only way I found (not sure what forum) to resolve this is to rename MKV and SRT. After renaming both files the subs are shown during playback. It looks like Twonky does not 'see' I have added the SRT manually (at least not untill the rename).

I am running OMV 0.3.0.25(Linux 2.6.32-5) with Twonky 7.1.2 Special

For me it is quite clear this is a Twonky issue as all my players have the same issue.
    -Samsung TV UE46D6200
    -Samsung TV UE32D5000
    -Samsung BD-E8500
    -HarmanKardon AVR 265

I hope this will help somebody...
    Regards,
    Larry

P.s. Forgot to mention miniDLNA has no subtitle issues on my OMV NAS
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• i realy need this subtitles... without, my nsa310 is useless.... i already sended a complaint to zyxel. I hope for support, also from twonky..
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I have same problem whit my Philips 6000 series Smart LED TV 42PFL6687K
    -on USB is film whit srt subtitles
    -on twonky media server is film whit no subtitles
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m sad
    Samsung TV and WD NAS with Version: Twonky 7.0.8 Special
    avi + srt work
    mp4 + srt does NOT work
    mkv embedded subtitles does NOT work.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I have the same problem with Zyxel and LG. After many hours i ended up with this solution, it might help everybody.

http://www.howtoshot.com/5120/zyxel-nsa310-nas-server-on-lg-tv-with-subtitles

If you find a better one without any miniDLNA instalation, please let me also know
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hello...

Do we have anything new on this issue?

It has been 3 months and nothing is done...

Is it so difficult to solve this issue that plagues many users?

Best regards...
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I use Zyxel NAS 310 + TV LG 47KW579S + BR LG BD660.

Build-in Twonky DLNA Server does not support subtitles in both devices. However, when I installed miniDLNA 1.0.25 I've got strange results:

- on TV LG 47KW579S subtitles work but there is only first audio stream available,
    - on BR LG BD660 no subtitles as before, but all audio streams are available.

Subtitles format: external srt file (same name as mkv).
    Net connection: cable LAN.
    Doesn't matter if Twonky server is down neither both DLNA servers are running.

Any ideas? :-) TIA

Regards
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hi All,

Our Engineers have spent time to investigate on this issue and as per them LG does not support external subtitles. It however does support subtitles embedded in the media container. We have tested this with different media servers and it seems LG specifications are limited.
    You can play embedded subtitles for different media containers.
    Unfortunately, there won't be any progress in future Twonky version to fix this issue.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,
    Kiran
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• I’m confused
    It is very strange... On miniDLNA this function works great and now you are saying: LG does not support external subtitles??
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm

• Hey Guys if you have Android smart phone you can use this app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/de...

this app will will detect your media server on your home network, and it will display any movie to any supported dlna tv, I have tested it on LG and Samsung TVs and it works great, and it work with subtitles, the only supported file extension are .avi and .mpg, you can rename your .mp4 files to .mpg, and the subtitles should work perfectly.

This is the only solution I found to display movies with subtitles on LG TV and Twonky server.
  • (some HTML allowed)
    Add Image
    I'm