A Message for Windows Home Server Users
As you might have already heard, we've decided to move away from dedicated TwonkyServer builds for Windows Home Server starting with TwonkyServer 6.0. Although this might be a disappointment for some of you, we think you'll find the normal Windows version of TwonkyServer to be more feature rich, more stable and better performing than our previous WHS add-in.
Update: I recently installed TwonkyServer 6.0.30 on my HP MediaSmart server at home and while it's true the installation process is harder than installing the old Add-in, once it's installed, it runs much better than the old Add-in which I was running. After you make a shortcut to the settings page, you'll find that it's very easy to administer the media server from any PC on your network.
To read a status update on some of the issues with the TwonkyServer Add-in and HP MediaSmart Servers, click the following: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8430#p31192
Before installing TwonkyServer 6.0 on your Windows Home Server, please read this:
- Even though TwonkyMedia server or PVConnect ran on your WHS hardware without a license key, a license key is required to run TwonkyServer 6.0. Do not uninstall your old WHS Add-In unless you are prepared to spend $19.95 on a new license key. Of course, if you purchased TwonkyServer for WHS from the Twonky.com Web site, that key will continue to work. Here is the link to purchase a license key: http://www.twonky.com/store/index.aspx
- After installing TwonkyServer 6.0, you will no longer be able to view or configure TwonkyServer using the Windows Home Server Console. Instead, you will use a Web browser to access all server status and settings. This is actually a big improvement for some because it provides many new features that were not available before.
- You must uninstall the old version of TwonkyMedia server or PVConnect Add-in for WHS before installing TwonkyServer 6.0.
- If you do not have an installer for PVConnect or TwonkyMedia server, you may not be able to easily go back to your old Add-in. We are not allowed to distribute software directly to HP MediaSmart users. If you already have a Twonky license key and want to go back to TwonkyServer 5.1.6 for Windows Home Server, you can download it here: downloads/5.1.6/TwonkyMediaServerWHS.msi
- Before attempting to install TwonkyServer 6.0 on your WHS hardware, make sure to first download and print the installation instructions that are available below.
- TwonkyManager has not been tested with WHS. You can try it, but itâ€™s unsupported. If it doesnâ€™t work well, you can use your license key to go back to TwonkyServer 6.0.
If you encounter any problems running TwonkyServer 6.0 on WHS, please send a detailed description of your problem to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Windows Home Server-related FAQ
Q: Iâ€™m getting error messages when using the HP Video Convertor app with TwonkyServer 6.0 (e.g. An unexpected error occurred converting video: The RPC server is not availableâ€¦). What is the cause of this problem?
A: The HP Video Convertor app is encountering problems with some of your media files. We did not create the HP Video Convertor app and as a result are unable to fix problems like this. Although the error message listed above seems like it might be related to TwonkyServer. RPC stands for Remote Procedure Call and the RPC server is part of the operating system, not TwonkyServer.
Q: Iâ€™m having problems getting TwonkyServer to automatically run on my WHS hardware. Do you have any suggestions what I can try?
A: You might want to try this and see if it helps:
1. Log onto the WHS machine using Remote Desktop
2. Open the Control Panel from the Start Menu and select "Administrative Tools -> Services"
3. Find the TwonkyMedia service listed here and make sure it is set to "Automatic" in the "Startup Type" column
4. Highlight the "TwonkyMedia" service and Right-Click on it to open the Properties settings
5. Make sure that the Log On panel is set to Local System account and not a specific user account as shown below, then hit O.K.
Q: Why am I getting â€œNo Server Responseâ€ messages when I try to use TwonkyServer 6.0 with the HP MediaSmart Media Streamer app?
A: The HP MediaSmart Media Streamer app doesn't work with TwonkyServer 6.0. If you want to use this app for remote access, you'll need to revert back to the version of TwonkyServer 5.1 that came with your MediaSmart server.
It's been reported by one of our users that TwonkyServer 5.1.6 for WHS works with the HP MediaSmart Media Streamer app. Although this isn't officially supported, you might want to give this a try if you're having problems.
Later this year, we plan to release TwonkyServer 6.1 which will perform similar functions as the HP Media Streamer app. TwonkyServer 6.1 will be a free upgrade for anyone who purchased a license for TwonkyServer 5.x or 6.0.
Q: After installing TwonkyServer 6.0 the HP MediaSmart app for iPhone no longer works. Can anything be done to fix this?
A: No. TwonkyServer 6.0 does not work with the HP iPhone app. If you want to use this app, you'll need to revert back to the version of TwonkyServer 5.1 that came with your MediaSmart server.
Q: I recently purchased TwonkyServer 6.0 to run on my HP MediaSmart server. However, Iâ€™ve found that not all of the features work that worked before. How can I go back to the way things are before?
A: You have several options:
1. Go back to the original discs that came with your product, reinstall them and then apply any updates. Before doing this, youâ€™ll need to transfer any media files off of your server.
2. Check online for a custom updated WHS installer. This is available from some, but not all manufacturers.
Q: Can you provide instructions how I can uninstall TwonkyServer 6.0 from my HP MediaSmart server and go back to the previous Add-in?
A: Yes. Uninstall instructions have been provided below.